Senior Testing Engineer/Construction Technician
NFE has an immediate opening(s) for an experienced, career oriented Senior Testing Engineer/Construction Technician to oversee a wide variety of private and public sector projects within Metropolitan Detroit and surrounding areas.
This position requires a motivated self-directed individual to represent public sector interests, to oversee construction activities, and to supervise additional NFE staff for documentation and completion of private and municipal sector work. This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to manage personnel, project schedules and project budgets while maintaining client contact and client satisfaction.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- High School Graduate. Associates Degree in Construction Operations, Testing or Field, preferred.
- Minimum of 5 to 15 years private sector or public sector experience in construction/engineering/surveying. Construction experience of similar type and scope may be considered, if applicable.
- Must have current or recent certifications for approved construction inspection program and/or MDOT certification(s) for concrete pavement, HMA pavement, density testing, MDEQ storm water operator, etc.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent Project Owner and NFE in a professional manner at all times.
- Must have ability to read and interpret civil engineering/site work construction design drawings/specifications for municipal sector infrastructure improvement projects, including roadway resurfacing and reconstruction, as well as storm, sanitary, and water main improvement/replacement projects.
- Must have ability to read and interpret civil engineering/site work construction design drawings/specifications for private sector land development projects for institutional, industrial, commercial and residential clients.
- Ability to serve as lead Construction Observation Technician and manage/supervise junior construction observation technician on multiple projects in same geographical area.
- Must be familiar with MDOT and local agency standards and specifications for road construction, water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and soil erosion control measures for typical construction.
- Must understand typical methods of construction procedures and work with project owner, design engineer and site contractor to resolve minor issues and resolve concerns raised by public.
- Ability to monitor construction activities and foresee potential issues with design support to prevent and/or resolve design and construction related issues.
- Must prepare an Inspector's Daily Report (IDR) and maintain accurate daily reports. Must measure and document quantities for project work on daily basis for preparation of monthly pay estimate. Must understand contract pay items and relate them to work being performed by contractor. Must document additional work outside of contract times including time and materials.
- Perform, witness and interpret density, proctor, concrete testing and HMA bituminous materials. Must check materials to ensure compliance with approved shop drawings or specifications.
- Witness final project tests, such as pressure, bacterial, purification, infiltration and TV inspections, as required by design documents.
- Must follow and carry out specific instructions on independent basis. Must point out potential problems/conflicts to project engineer and contractor. Must inform project engineer of project process. Must document and resolve all inquiries and complaints of the public. Must follow MIOSHA requirements.
- Proficiency in AASHTO, FHWA and MDOT construction methodologies and local municipal codes.
- Must be able to operate a level to check line and grade or calculation cut and fill elevations.
- Must have a positive attitude and enjoy solving problems. Must want varied experience.
Other Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform quality control tests in field conditions at required intervals using ASTM, AASHTO and/or MDOT testing procedures per contract documents.
- Ability to supervise junior level technicians and/or co-ops through knowledge of construction techniques and procedures for specified projects.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have experience with MDOT Fieldbook software. Must be capable of using this software for daily entry of observation notes, diagrams, photographs and other information required to document contractors progress and field activities.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and maintain a drive record in accordance with NFE policy.
Physical Demand of Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand and walk, and use hand and fingers to feel objects, tools or controls. They must be able to reach with hands and arms, talk and listen, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or more up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Common sense must be relied upon at all times to monitor construction activities and personal safety.
NFE offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and qualifications. In addition, we offer an excellent benefit package with minimal employee contributions, including:
- Team Oriented Work Environment with Advancement Opportunities
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and Short and Long Term Disability Insurance Coverage
- 401K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing Program, and Bonus Program based upon merit
- Hourly Positions with time and one-half overtime pay
- Potentially long hours and limited travel is anticipated
- NFE is a drug-free work place
If interested, email your resume to: email@example.com.
To apply for this position, please complete our application.