NFE in Detroit
NFE has been working in the City of Detroit since our inception in 1969. Our founding fathers often provided engineering consulting services to the city. Also, we were the engineer of record for two major developments aimed towards the renaissance of Detroit back in the early 1970’s and 1980’s–the Renaissance Center and the Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly Plant.
In the past five years, NFE has worked on over 300 projects within the City of Detroit. Due to all this work, in January, we opened a Detroit office in the historic Grand Park Centre building to better serve our existing and future clients who are doing work within the city. Below we have listed a few of the unique projects we have provided land surveying and/or civil engineering services for.
- Du Charme Place Apartments – Located in Detroit’s historic Lafayette Park, this is a new development featuring 185 luxury apartments in four buildings that stand three stories atop a first-floor garage/lobby area. NFE provided land surveying and civil engineering services, including ALTA, boundary and topographic surveys; demolition plan; site plan; paving and utility design; soil erosion plan; and construction documents. The value is $45,000,000, and construction is almost complete.
- True North Quonset Hut Village – This new 8-unit housing development features half-moon shaped Quonset huts whose walls and roof are made of corrugated steel. NFE provided land surveying and civil engineering services, including boundary and topographic surveys, demolition plan, site plan, utility design and construction staking for this $850,000 alternative housing development. True North was so unique it won an honorable mention in the 2017 Progressive Architecture Awards.
- St. Charles Residences – This is a residential development featuring St. Charles, a former Catholic school in Detroit’s Islandview neighborhood, that will be turned into 25 condominium units, and a new 10-unit apartment building is being developed next to the school. NFE provided land surveying and civil engineering services, including boundary, topographic and as-builts surveys; site plan; construction documents; and landscape plans. Construction is expected to begin on both developments in the summer of 2017 and end in the spring of 2018.
- The Scott at Brush Park – This mixed-use development features offices, 199 luxury apartments, retail and restaurants with secure below-ground parking. The five-story, 200,000-square-foot development is at the corner of Woodward Avenue and Erskine Street in the historic Brush Park. NFE provided topographic survey, site plan, final engineering and construction administration services. Construction on this $65 million development was completed at the end of 2016, and apartments are now being rented.
- I-94 Industrial Corridor – The Economic Development Corporation of the City of Detroit entrusted NFE to oversee the land surveying work for six parcels of the I-94 Industrial Corridor redevelopment project. Due to the ideal location of the land, the plan for this 186-acre site is to sell the parcels to new businesses focused on manufacturing, warehousing and logistics. NFE provided ALTA/NSPS land title surveys, topographic surveys, underground utility location, easements and plans, and consulting services.
- Linc Logistics – Crown Enterprises purchased 40-acres of land to build a 500,000-square-foot logistics center for Linc Logistics. This was the first tenant for the I-94 Industrial Corridor. NFE provided additional ALTA/NSPS land title surveys to include topographic information of surface elevations and sub-surface utility locations and inverts, along with detailed site plan and construction plan documents in accordance with the City of Detroit.
- Flex-N-Gate Manufacturing – Under the ownership of Flex-N-Gate Manufacturing, NFE performed additional surveying services to complete a comprehensive boundary and topographic survey to support the development of a 500,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in the I-94 Industrial Corridor. Additionally, NFE was retained by Flex-N-Gate to perform site planning and prepare construction drawings for the full development of the site. Ground breaking for the facility was in April with construction to be completed mid-2018.
- Belle Isle Canal Boat Launch – This project called for design and construction administration services for the construction of an ADA accessible canoe/kayak facility at Lake Muscoday and Detroit Yacht Club on Belle Isle. The project included the design of ADA accessible concrete walkways, pavilion structure, amenities and a pre-manufactured canoe/kayak launch for access to both Lake Muscoday and the Detroit River. Work also included improvements to the existing parking facilities to meet ADA accessibility requirements.
NFE is proud to play our part in the resurgence of Detroit. We always knew Detroit was a hidden gem of unique neighborhoods, beautiful old buildings, underdeveloped properties, and parks full of character. For more information on any of these projects or to discuss a new project in Detroit or elsewhere, contact us at 313-965-2444.