Robertson Brothers & Residential Planning
Robertson Brothers has specialized in building luxury single-family and condominium residential communities in Michigan since 1945. NFE has been working with Robertson Brothers since 2000 with an increase of volume in the last seven years due to the return of the housing market after the Great Recession.
The end of the recession also brought changes in what sort of housing Americans want. Robertson Brothers has found success in building townhome developments, popular among millennials who desire walkable urban communities, and dense single-family home developments in cities where land became available usually due to the closing of a municipal facility.
Since 2011, Robertson Brothers has contracted with NFE to provide land surveying, civil engineering and land planning services for several townhome and single-family home developments in Southeast Michigan. For each development, NFE provided preliminary site plans, engineering plans and construction documents for demolition, paving/grading, utility, storm drainage, water main/sanitary sewer and soil erosion. Each development and its status are detailed below:
On the left is Lexington on the Park and on the right is Sherman Oaks, both completed and in Royal Oak
- Lexington on the Park, Royal Oak, Michigan – This development has 36 single-family homes with detached 2-car garages on 7.42 acres of the former Royal Oak Schools’ administrative offices site. All these units have been built and sold.
- Sherman Oaks, Royal Oak, Michigan – This 2.158-acre site consists of 37 townhomes in nine buildings within walking distance of downtown Royal Oak. The former site was three vacant buildings and parking lot. Additional work included landscape plans for the development. All units have been built and sold. On a side note: NFE has provided consulting services to the City of Royal Oak since 2002. Royal Oak contracted with NFE for the replacement of N. Sherman Drive from Eleven Mile Road to Forestdale Road. This subdivision road is the entrance to Sherman Oaks. Construction of the cement road with new curbs and gutters was completed about the same time as the townhomes.
On the left is an aerial view of Bradley Square in construction (Nov. 2017), taken by NFE’s drone, and on the right is The Townes at 3506 nearing construction completion
- Bradley Square, Troy, Michigan – This 3.46-acre site will consist of 30 townhomes in nine buildings plus one single-family home to fill in the empty subdivision lot just south of the townhomes. Additional work included designing a detention basin for the site that was formerly an open field. The construction of this development is almost completed, and all units have been sold.
- The Townes at 3506, Royal Oak, Michigan – This development has a subdivision road splitting it into two parcels. The north side will have 17 townhomes in four buildings on 0.975 acres, and the south side will have eleven townhomes in three buildings on 0.643 acres. The site was formerly a religious institute and parking lot. Construction is almost completed, and all units have been sold.
On the left is a concept drawing* of Normandy Village and on the right is the completed detention basin
- Normandy Village, Royal Oak, Michigan – This development is on a 10-acre site of a former golf course and will contain when completed 49 single-family homes and 73 townhomes in 22 buildings. North and east of the development will be a new 40-acre park that NFE is currently working on with the City of Royal Oak. Additional work included designing an off-site detention basin that has been constructed in the future park area to accommodate storm water for both the residential development and park. NFE also performed a tree survey that helped save the healthy, mature trees surrounding the basin. The development is being constructed and units are being sold.
- The Villas at Bloomfield Grove, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan – This 27.688-acre development will contain 40 single-family houses on the site of the former Hickory Grove Elementary School. Additional work included a wetland delineation to preserve the wetlands on the site, designing a detention basin and performing a tree survey. The development is in the final planning stages with construction to start soon.
- Riverside Townes, Auburn Hills, Michigan – This development will contain 14 townhomes in 3 buildings on 1.077 acres in the downtown Auburn Hills area. The land was undeveloped with lots of mature trees. Additional work included performing a tree survey in order to save as many healthy trees as possible. This development is in the site planning stage.
- Lakeview Townes, Novi, Michigan – This development is being planned along Old Novi Road. The west side will contain 34 townhomes in 10 buildings on 1.801 acres, and the east side will contain 36 townhomes in 8 buildings on 1.356 acres. This development is in the early site planning stage.
- Tribute Extension, Wixom, Michigan – This 8.839-acre development is being planned for 30 single-family homes and 40 townhomes in 9 buildings. The site is located just north of Pontiac Trail between N. Wixom and S. Beck roads and is vacant. This development is in the early site planning stage.
- Brewster Road, Rochester Hills, Michigan – This development is in the early planning stage for 32 duplex condominiums on 7.7 acres. The site is located off Brewster Road, just north of Walton Boulevard, and is vacant.
We are proud of our long-term relationship with Robertson Brothers and bringing exceptional residential communities to Southeast Michigan. For more information on any of these projects or for your next residential development, please contact Tim Germain at 248-332-7931 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Concept drawings by Land Design Studios