Romeo Community Schools
In May 2016, Romeo Community Schools’ voters approved an $86 million, 25-year bond initiative for the district. Romeo Community Schools contracted with architect Integrated Design Solutions who in turn contracted with NFE to provide land surveying and civil engineering services to support the following bond initiatives:
- Parking Lot and sidewalk improvements, including ADA compliance, for four elementary schools
- Converting Powell Middle School into an academy serving all ninth-graders
- Demolition of the current Romeo Middle School
- Converting the current Romeo High School into a new middle school for grades six to eight
- Additions to the Romeo Engineering and Technology Center to make it the new Romeo High School for grades 10-12
- Addition of a new bus wash at the Transportation Facility, along with demolition of antiquated buildings
- Complete tear out and replacement of football turf at Barnabo Athletic Field, along with the addition of new concession stands, bathroom facilities and locker rooms
- Track relocation at Memorial Field
Romeo Community Schools was not a new client for NFE. We provided civil engineering and land surveying services to the district for facility improvements regarding their 2006 Romero Community School Construction Program and the 2008-2012 Sinking Fund Program. At that time, most of the work included parking and walkway expansions and improvements. This time around the bulk of the work for NFE was the new Romeo High School and Barnabo Athletic Field.
New Romeo High School
Concept Drawings of the New Romeo High School (Drawings provided by Integrated Design Solutions)
As part of the overall district reorganization, the new Romeo High School is to be housed within the existing Romeo Engineering and Technology Center facility. The renovations for this facility include major building expansion, building technology and furniture upgrades, and site improvements. NFE was responsible for site development, paving drives and walkways, and utility improvements.
NFE performed an ADA audit of the exterior of the facility and a pavement condition analysis to identify parking lot and sidewalk repairs needed. Additionally, a subsurface infrastructure evaluation was performed to document conditions of existing subsurface amenities. As part of the overall site development, NFE provided a boundary and topographic survey, and engineering plans for demolition, site, grading, paving, storm water management, utility, soil erosion and sediment control, and site restorations. We also provided landscape plans for beautification in accordance with Romeo Community Schools standards.
Ground breaking for the new high school was on August 25, 2017, and construction is slated to be completed in time for the 2019-2020 school year.
Barnabo Athletic Field
Photos of Barnabo Athletic Field just before Completion
Bond work for the Barnabo Athletic Field included new athletic field, track, bleachers, utilities, drives and parking, and site improvements. NFE was responsible for site development, paving drives and walkways, utility improvements, synthetic turf and track improvements.
NFE performed an ADA audit of the exterior of the facility and a pavement condition analysis to identify parking lot and sidewalk repairs needed. Additionally, a subsurface infrastructure evaluation was prepared to document conditions of existing subsurface amenities. As part of the overall site development, NFE provided a boundary and topographic survey, and engineering plans for demolition, site, grading, paving, storm water management, utility, synthetic turf field, paved track, soil erosion and sediment control, and site restoration. The improvements to the Barnabo Athletic Field area included:
- Existing football and grass play surface replaced with synthetic turf up to the running track
- Synthetic turf striped for football, soccer and lacrosse activities
- Synthetic turf placed atop a layer of drainage stone and underlying drainage pipes to rapidly convert storm water from the playing field
- New field with an underlying “shock pad” to reduce GMAX ratings and provide a safer playing surface
- Below grade power and water sources provided at the 50-yard line for team use
- Existing 400-meter asphalt track removed and fully reconstructed, including application of a black polyurethane coating and structural spray overlay to protect against future water penetration
- 4-foot high black vinyl fence fitted around track’s outer radius
- New ADA compliant concrete sidewalks going to enlarge grandstand areas, field area and new concession building
- A new shot-put area with a concrete pad, aluminum stops and landing zone
- New discus area with concrete pad and discus cage with safety net
- New long jump area with concrete runway, all-weather surfacing, 12-inch concrete curbing, sand infill and plywood take-off board
- New pole vault area with paved runway of synthetic all-weather material and stainless-steel trays
Construction on the Barnabo Athletic Field was completed at the end of August 2017 just in time for the 2017-2018 school year and the Romeo Bulldogs football season. NFE is proud to be on the team to bring state-of-the-art facilities and athletic field to the students and faculty of Romeo Community Schools.
For more information, please contact Steve Sutton at 248-332-7931 or email@example.com.