The Development of Genisys Credit Union Locations
From 1999 to 2007, NFE provided civil engineering and land surveying services to both USA Federal Credit Union and T&C Federal Credit Union for new branches in Michigan. In 2008, these two credit unions merged with Genisys Credit Union, a non-profit, member-owned financial institution established in 1936.
Since the merger, NFE has worked on six new branch locations for Genisys, providing civil engineering, land surveying and landscape architecture services. Each building is architecturally design for the site and needs of the community, and each branch is typically 3,000-3,300 square feet in size, one-story, and usually features two drive-thru teller lanes and one drive-up ATM lane.
For each branch, NFE first surveyed the land and prepared topographic/boundary surveys, and for several branches, also prepared ALTA/NSPS Land Title and tree surveys. Next NFE prepared site plans, and when approved, construction documents for demolition, paving and grading, utility, storm sewer, soil erosion and sedimentation control, and landscape design. The branch locations we worked on include the following:
The Royal Oak location adds a nicely landscaped building to Main Street north of the downtown area.
- City of Royal Oak – This branch opened in December 2014 and is located at 530 N. Main Street on the northern edge of downtown. The site was abandoned with deteriorating buildings, but now looks great with the modern facility and both deciduous and ornamental trees and shrubs, providing color and variety.
The rain garden at the Oxford Village location helps with storm water management.
- Village of Oxford – This branch is located at 120 S. Washington and opened in the early part of 2015. It features a 1,730-square-foot raingarden, designed by NFE, to help with storm water management. NFE also provided construction staking and inspection services during construction of the site, which is typical for most of the sites for Genisys.
An updated building replaced an outdated building for the Waterford Township location.
- Waterford Township – Opened in January 2016, this branch is located at 7372 Highland Road in front of an existing strip mall. A Genisys branch was on the site previously but was outdated and poorly configured. That branch was demolished and replaced with a modern facility, improving layout and vehicle circulation.
A 15-foot retaining wall supports the parking lot at the Brandon Township location.
- Brandon Township – Located at 1101 S. Ortonville Road, this branch opened in November 2017. Due to the existing topography of the site, a 15-foot retaining wall was designed for the back of the property to support the parking lot. Also, due to its rural location, NFE prepared well and septic field plans for the development.
The Independence Township location features a patio in the front and entrance to the branch in the back.
- Independence Township – This branch is located at 6330 Sashabaw Road and opened March 2018. Due to the shape of the land, this branch had to take a different form than a typical Genisys building. A patio/outdoor seating area was featured in the front of the building along Sashabaw Road. Vehicle access is provided off a private roadway at the rear of the site with exit traffic being directed to Sashabaw Road. The main pedestrian entrance is located at the rear of the building with a stairway and pedestrian ramp to overcome challenges with the existing topography.
- Chesterfield Township – This is an existing branch that will be relocated to a new site at 47930 Gratiot Avenue. The site is currently in construction and should be completed early 2019. The 6-acre parcel for the new site was master planned for vehicle access and utilities. NFE then prepared lot split documentation to divide the property and prepare the remainder for sale, with Genisys retaining approximately 1.5 acres for the branch relocation.
NFE is proud of our work with Genisys Credit Union and bringing new branch locations to Southeast Michigan. For more information on any of these projects or for your next financial development, please contact Jeff Huhta at 248-332-7931 or firstname.lastname@example.org.