As part of the Romeo Community Schools’ bond proposal passed in 2016, NFE provided land surveying and civil engineering services for improvements to the Barnabo Athletic Field. NFE wasn’t new to Barnabo as we provided the same services back in 2008 when the field was first built.
NFE prepared engineering plans for demolition, site, grading, paving, storm water management, utility, synthetic turf field, paved track, soil erosion and sediment control, and site restoration. Improvements to the field area included:
- Existing football and grass play surface replaced with synthetic turf up to the running track
- Synthetic turf placed atop a layer of drainage stone and underlying drainage pipes to rapidly convert storm water from the playing field
- New field with an underlying “shock pad” to reduce GMAX ratings and provide a safer playing surface
- Below grade power and water sources provided at the 50-yard line for team use
- Existing 400-meter asphalt track removed and fully reconstructed, including application of a black polyurethane coating and structural spray overlay to protect against future water penetration
- New ADA compliant concrete sidewalks going to enlarge grandstand areas, field area and new concession building
- A new shot-put area with a concrete pad, aluminum stops and landing zone
- New discus area with concrete pad and discus cage with safety net
- New long jump area with concrete runway, all-weather surfacing, 12-inch concrete curbing, sand infill and plywood take-off board
- New pole vault area with paved runway of synthetic all-weather material and stainless-steel trays
Construction on the Barnabo Athletic Field was completed at the end of August 2017 just in time for the 2017-2018 school year and Romeo Bulldogs football season.